Call Against Military Action in Syria
Sep 3, 2013
Updated September 3, 2013
The world community needs to act forcefully to bring those responsible for using chemical weapons—anyone who commits war crime—to justice. But U.S. military action will hurt more than help, increasing violence and risk of more chemical weapons attacks. There is a nonviolent path forward in Syria.
1. Call the Capitol Switchboard at 1-855-686-6927
Ask for your members of Congress by name. You can use FCNL's congressional directory to find your members of Congress.
2. Use the following points on your call:Get more background on a nonviolent path forward in Syria
- I oppose U.S. military action in Syria.
- Military action will not stop the killing in Syria or bring those responsible for the use of chemical weapons to justice. Diplomatic engagement with all regional stakeholders is what is called for right now.
- The U.S. shouldn't respond alone to the use of chemical weapons. Our country should work through the U.N. and the International Criminal Court.
- I’d like to hear what the member’s position is on authorizing military force against Syria. I’d also like to know there are any local public events happening where I could express my views to the member directly
If you are able to, plan to attend a public event with your members and ask a question about nonviolent responses to Syria.
Get Social: Share this post and tweet with your social networks
Please consider writing a letter to your local newspaper and posting comments on the newspaper websites. Let your community know that war is not the answer to the use of chemical weapons in Syria, and, most importantly mention the names of your senators and representatives by name in the letter.
FCNL is one of the few prominent voices on Capitol Hill and in the media encouraging members of Congress and the White House to pursue alternatives to war. We must lobby louder and stronger in the days ahead. Please help by making a donation today.