Global Warming Heats Up Global Conflict
Global Warming heats up Global Conflict
Have you ever wondered how global warming may exacerbate or fuel violent conflict? This policy brief explores these issues and offers specific policy recommendations to keep a heating planet from leading to war.
The key policy recommendations in this report are as follows.
- Congress should pass comprehensive climate legislation.
- The United States should meet its Copenhagen Accord commitment by contributing $25 billion annually to international adaptation.
- The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change should administer all international adaptation and mitigation funding.
- USAID should mainstream violence prevention and environmental adaptation throughout its programming.
- The U.S. Senate should ratify the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea.