Anti-Muslim Ads on DC Metro
On Monday, signs went up in Metro stations in the Washington DC area attacking Muslims. The ads read: “In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad.” The ads promote inaccurate and inflammatory stereotypes about American Muslims, by linking “savages” to “jihad” and calling for their “defeat.”
Muslims in the U.S. are increasingly targeted for hate crimes, and these ads support further violence.
In the New York subways, and now in DC, attempts to ban the signs have failed. First amendment free speech rights have trumped concerns about the “demeaning” nature of the message. So it’s time to send a new message that love will trump hate.
- Write a letter to the editors of the Washington Post and the Washington Times with a message that honors religious freedom and diversity.
- If you are a Metro customer, write to WMATA about your own experience riding the Metro and seeing these “hate” signs. Metro should not profit from a hateful, inflammatory message that attacks Metro customers.
- I’m writing about the anti-Muslim ads paid for by the American Freedom Defense Initiative.
- The ads encourage discrimination against Muslims by comparing them to “savages” rather than “civilized men”.
- When I see signs with hate messages, like the ones that went on display today, I feel attacked. Even though I am not Muslim myself, Muslims are my neighbors, my co-workers, my partners in the community.
- WMATA shouldn’t profit from a message of hatred. Proceeds from the ads should go to the DC Human Rights Commission.
Shoulder to Shoulder with American Muslims
FCNL is participating with the Shoulder to Shoulder campaign to fund competing messages to be posted in the metro system. Our message says: “Hate speech is not civilized. Support peace in word and deed.” We encourage you to sign Shoulder to Shoulder's petition to WMATA to donate the proceeds from the ad to the DC Human Rights Commission.