A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest
Founded in 1943 by members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), FCNL's nonpartisan, multi-issue advocacy connects historic Quaker testimonies on peace, equality, simplicity, and truth with peace and social justice issues. FCNL fields the largest team of registered peace lobbyists in Washington, DC.
More About FCNL
A Quaker Lobby
FCNL is part of a long tradition of Quaker advocacy. Both our policy positions and our approach to lobbying are grounded in Quaker principles of simplicity, peace, integrity, compassion and equality. Quakers across the country take part in our work—through their meeting or church community, through lobbying, and through their financial support.
Recent successes »
A peaceful voice since 1943 »
FCNL has helped persuade Congress to keep the door open for diplomacy with Iran through more than 100 lobby visits, thousands of messages to Congress and more than 100 published letters to the editor since September 2013.
This statement sets forth FCNL's broad objectives for public policy. FCNL's legislative priorities for each Congress are drawn from the policy statement. The General Committee last updated the Policy Statement in November 2013.
Every two years, we ask Quakers around the country to help shape our work. This year 157 groups and individuals responded. The Policy Committee is reviewing these submissions and will bring a draft priorities statement based on these recommendations to our Annual Meeting this November.
The FCNL General Committee sets new priorities for the organization every two years, as a new Congress takes office.The Statement of Legislative Priorities identifies a set of issues on which staff is expected to focus time, energy, and resources.
FCNL is governed by a General Committee made up of 184 Quakers from around the country.
The world we seek
We seek a world free of war and the threat of war
We seek a society with equity and justice for all
We seek a community where every person's potential may be fulfilled
We seek an earth restored